Things to look for in 2019:
Yes – it’s that time again. Some candidates have announced, committees have formed, and citizen advocacy groups are gearing up – keeping a careful eye on voting records and policy stances – preparing to support candidates.
School Committee: So far, two open seats: Ward 4 and Ward 5
City Council: So far, one open seat: Ward 5 City Council
Challenges….The Ward 2 Councilor seat is currently being challenged.
Issues to watch (IMHO):
On the School Side:
- Teachers Union Contract
- Implementation of Full-Day K
- Late High School Start Times
- School Facilities – Upgrading and Renovations
- High Density Development and School Enrollment Projections
- Equity policy
On the Municipal Side:
- City Planning and Development – Large Scale/High Density Projects – Northland, Riverside and most of the Washington Street corridor
- Revisions to the Zoning Ordinance
- Implementation of Municipal Aggregation
- Recreational Pot Shops
- Solar Panel rollout
- Trash Contract – PAYT, Recycling, Composting
- Employee Health Insurance – is GIC in the City’s future?
- OPEB – will we be more aggressive in paying down the debt?
- New CAL – where will it go?