Last week, the City Council voted to approve a $2 million appropriation from Community Preservation Funds and to pool that with $500K of CDBG funds to create a COVID-19 Emergency Housing Relief Program.
The program flyer is available for download in the following languages:
APPLICANTS ARE ELIGIBLE FOR:
- Up to three months of housing assistance
- The program will cover 70% of a household’s monthly rent, with a maximum monthly assistance amount of $2,500 per household (or $7,500 per household for three months)
- Mortgage assistance is only available to those income eligible households who reside in affordable deed restricted units. The program will cover 70% of a household’s monthly deed-restricted mortgage payment, with a maximum monthly assistance amount of $2,500 per household (or $7,500 per household for three months)
DRIVE-UP APPLICATION ASSISTANCE
Tuesdays: May 26th and June 2nd, 4:00 – 6:00 p.m., 79 Chapel St., Newton
Bring your documents, questions or just get started from the safety of your car!
No appointments necessary.
An “eligible” renter household is one that:
Currently lives in the City of Newton
Has reduced income because of COVID-19 (and can demonstrate this financial hardship)
Has an annual income (at the time of application) at or below 80% of Area Median Income (AMI)
Households currently receiving rental assistance (e.g. Public Housing tenants, RAFT, Section 8, MRVP or other locally administered support) are also eligible for this program (program assistance is only applied towards tenant’s portion of rent)
An “eligible” homeowner household is one that:
- Currently lives in the City of Newton
- Resides in an ownership unit that is deed-restricted affordable (restriction recorded with the Registry of Deeds)
- Has reduced income because of COVID-19 (and can demonstrate this financial hardship)
- Has an annual income (at the time of application) at or below 80% of Area Median Income (AMI)
2020 HUD Income Limits:
The total income of the applicant and all other members of the applicant’s household over the age of eighteen (18) may not exceed 80% of the Area Median Income for the greater Boston area adjusted for family size. An applicant’s total household income at the time of application cannot exceed the following limits:
|Household size||1 person||2 person||3 person||4 person||5 person||6 person|
|Income Limit 80% area median||$67,400||$77,000||$86,650||$96,250||$103,950||$111,650|
Preference shall be given to households whose annual income is at or below 65% AMI. This preference shall not be applicable after the initial Lottery period.
HOW TO APPLY
The Program is being administered by Metro West Collaborative Development, on behalf of the City of Newton. To begin:
Contact Robyn Rufo at firstname.lastname@example.org (preferred method) or at 617-923-3505 x5.
TYY users please call 711. FREE TRANSLATION ASSISTANCE IS AVAILABLE: Call Robyn at 617-923-3505 x 5.
Applicants have the right to request a reasonable accommodation, which may include a change to a policy, procedure or practice to afford a person with a disability an equal opportunity to participate fully in the housing program.
For detailed information on the COVID-19 EMERGENCY HOUSING RELIEF PROGRAM please read the PROGRAM GUIDELINES.
Application Due Date: JUNE 3, 2020
Applications are due (or postmarked) by June 3, 2020. A Lottery will be used to establish the order in which funds will be awarded. Applications received after the due date will be added to the bottom of the Lottery List in the order received, until all funds are disbursed. The Lottery will be held on June 10, 2020.
- All potential participants must complete an application and attach requested documents prior to the deadline. All complete applications will be entered into a lottery.
- The deadline for submitting complete applications is June 3, 2020; however, households who contact the Metro West CD office after the application deadline will be added to the bottom of the Lottery Wait List in the order received.
- Assistance with the submission of the application is available to those with limited computer access.
- Applicants have the right to request a reasonable accommodation(s), which may include a change to a rule, policy, procedure or practice to afford a person with a disability an equal opportunity to participate fully in the housing program or to use and enjoy the housing.
- Free language assistance is available to households with limited English proficiency.
- The Lottery will be held via zoom on June 10, 2020. Applicants will be given access to the zoom meeting information after the close of the application deadline.
- All applicants will then be drawn and assigned a Lottery Wait List number in the order they were drawn.
- For further details, please read the PROGRAM GUIDELINES.
- Download Rental Assistance program flyer.
- Download Mortgage Assistance program flyer.
The City of Newton COVID-19 Emergency Housing Relief Program is administered by Metro West Collaborative Development, on behalf of the City of Newton. Metro West is a non-profit community development corporation based in Newton. More information on Metro West can be found here: https://metrowestcd.org/