Finance Committee: The regularly scheduled Finance Committee meeting has been cancelled. The Meeting Cancellation Notice can be found here.
Zoning and Planning Committee: The Zoning and Planning Committee will first meet jointly with the Planning and Development Board to hold a Joint Public Hearing on Monday, February 24th at 7:00 p.m. in the Council Chamber and then meet as a Committee following the public hearing. The agenda includes the following:
- Joint Public Hearing with the Planning and Development Board on Part A of an item requesting review and possible amendments to Section 7.3.3.C.5 of Chapter 30, Newton Zoning Ordinance, to further inform the objectives of reducing energy consumption and limited use of natural resources. See Planning Department Memo here.
Following the Joint Public Hearing, the Committee will then meet to discuss the following:
- Review, discussion, and direction relative to the draft Zoning Ordinance
- Request to amend the following ordinance chapters: Chapters 3, 7, 10, 13, 17, 18, 20, 21, 22 and 30 to rename the Department of Parks & Recreation to the Department of Parks, Recreation and Culture – NOTE: The Chair intends to move No Action Necessary
Land Use Committee: The Land Use Committee will meet on Tuesday, February 25th at 7:00 p.m. in the Council Chamber. The agenda is solely focused on the Riverside petition for a Change of Zone and Request for a Special Permit. The Committee’s discussion will focus on Transportation.
See Planning Department Memo here.
Programs and Services Committee: The Programs and Services Committee will meet on Wednesday, February 26th at 7:00 p.m. in Room 205. The agenda includes the following:
- Appointment of Nicole Banks as the new Commissioner of Parks and Recreation and Culture
- Request to amend the following ordinance chapters (Docket Item #138-20) Chapters 3, 7, 10, 13, 17, 18, 20, 21, 22 and 30 to rename the Department of Parks & Recreation to the Department of Parks, Recreation and Culture
- Request to amend the following ordinance chapters (Docket Item #9-20): Chapters 3, 7, 10, 13, 17, 18, 20, 21, 22 and 30 to rename the Department of Parks & Recreation to the Department of Parks, Recreation and Culture – NOTE: This is a different docket item and the Chair is requesting a vote of NO ACTION NECESSARY on this item.
- Request for a discussion with the School Department and the School Committee about fees in the Newton Public Schools.
Traffic Council: The Traffic Council will meet on Thursday, February 27th at 7:00 p.m. in Room 211. The agenda includes the following:
- Request for an accessible parking space in front of 62 Fellsmere Road
- Request to modify the parking regulations on Austin Street between Walnut Street and Lowell Avenue to account for the relocated parking meters
- Request to update Sec. TPR-194, Time limits in municipal off-street parking areas, to reflect the distribution of time limits among the parking spaces, as well as enforcement hours, in the Austin Street Parking Lot
- Request to add stop signs into the Traffic and Parking Regulations (TPR) on Philip Bram Way as it intersects with Austin Street and Highland Avenue
- Request to change the parking regulations on the section of Highland Avenue between Lowell Avenue and Bram Way to allow for permit parking by residents of the street and seniors with senior parking permits
- Request installation of an RRFB pedestrian crossing signal on Linwood Avenue, crossing Walnut Street, to improve pedestrian safety
- Request to review and possibly change the parking regulations along the section of Washington Park between Walnut Street and Park Place
- Request to allow parking along the north side of Homer Street, across from the library parking lot, in the area between the two pedestrian crossing signals
- Request on behalf of the Oak Hill Middle School Principal, for the addition of “No U-turn” signs on Wheeler Road in the vicinity of Oak Hill Middle School
The Chair will entertain a motion of NO ACTION NECESSARY on the following items:
- Request for temporary changes to the parking regulations on the section of Highland Avenue between Walnut Street and Lowell Avenue to help accommodate the parking needs of seniors attending programming at the Newton Senior Center during the reconstruction of the Austin Street Parking Lot. This may involve temporarily adding this section of Highland Avenue into the Newtonville Neighborhood Parking District
- Request to allow flexibility in terms of the location, duration, and pricing of public parking spaces as well as potential changes to traffic circulation within and proximate to the Austin Street parking lot, in order to provide for the reconstruction of the Austin Street parking lot