Zoning and Planning Committee: The Zoning and Planning Committee will meet on Tuesday, June 4th at 7:00 p.m. in the Council Chambers. The agenda is focused on Riverside Zoning – with several requests:
- Lower Falls Improvement Association Riverside Committee and the Ward 4 City Councilors requesting to amend Chapter 30, City of Newton Ordinance, Section 4.2 and 7.3.5 pertaining to the Mixed Use 3/Transit Oriented Zoning District – See LFIA Report of Proposed Zoning Amendments of MU-3
- Riverside Station /355 Grove Street and 399 Grove Street requesting amendments to Chapter 30, City of Newton Ordinance, Section 4.2.3 and 4.2.4 relative to the Mixed Use 3 District – See Planning Department Memo analyzing both proposals
- Mark Development 399 Grove Owner, LLC/Ramirez Concord,LLC/BH Normandy Riverside, LLC/Mass Bay Transportation Authority petition for a change of zone to Mixed Use 3/Transit Oriented District for portions of land located at 355 Grove Street (currently zoned BU-2) and 399 Grove Street (currently zoned BU-5)
- Mark Development 399 Grove Owner, LLC/Ramirez Concord, LLC/BH Normandy Riverside, LLC/Mass Bay Transportation Authority petition for a Special Permit/Site Plan Approval to construct a 10 building, mixed-use, transit-oriented development ….
Programs and Services Committee: The Programs and Services Committee will meet on Wednesday, June 5th at 7:00 p.m. in Room 211. The agenda includes the following:
- Re-appointment of Seth Bai as the Veteran’s Services Officer for a term to expire May 18, 2020
- Request for an amendments to the City of Newton Ordinances, Chapters 3,7,10,13, 17, 18, 20, 21, 22, and 30 to rename the Department of Parks and Recreation to the Department of Parks, Recreation and Culture
- Request for a resolution to the Mayor and the School Committee to require the City and School Departments to change all references on City and School documents and calendars from “Columbus Day” to “Indigenous People’s Day”
- Request for Home Rule Legislation to allow Fire Chief Bruce Proia to continue employment as the Fire Chief of the City beyond the mandatory retirement age
Public Facilities Committee: The Public Facilities Committee will meet on Wednesday, June 5th at 7:30 p.m. in Room 204. The agenda includes the following:
- Design Review Commission petition pursuant to 5-58, for schematic design and site approval at 687 Watertown Street for the interior renovation of the former Horace Mann school to accommodate the Newton Early Childhood Program and proposed site design that includes a new entry plaza, removal of the existing modular structures to provide an access drive, a school transportation van loading area and emergency access, and landscaping improvements. Additional site improvements include parking improvements and an accessible ramp to new play structures located in the adjacent area north of the building.
- Petition for a grant of location to install a small cell wireless facility on an existing city-owned streetlight pole located in the right-of-way in the vicinity of 140 Commonwealth Avenue
- Request to acquire by purchase the West Newton Armory building and land located at 1135 Washington Street for affordable housing and further requesting that the sum of one dollar ($1) by appropriated from the Municipal Building Maintenance/Building Improvements Account to fund all costs associated with the acquisition of such property
- Request to appropriate and expend $2 million from Free Cash to develop 25% conceptual design of the Washington Street corridor for improvements to the corridor eligible for the State’s Transportation Improvement Program (TIP) funding
Public Safety and Transportation Committee: The Public Safety and Transportation Committee will meet on Wednesday, June 5th at 7:00 p.m. in Room 205. The agenda includes the following:
- Request for triennial renewal of the two Needham Shuttle Bus Licenses for the 128 Business Council
- Request annual renewal of the two Boston College Bus Licenses
- Boston College Law School Routes
- Boston College Main Campus to Boston Route
- Request for annual renewal of one bus license for seven vehicles for Medical Academic and Scientific Community Organization, Inc.
- Submission of reports of semi-annual taxi license/public auto inspections for review
- Request to amend the City Ordinances to create a short-term rental ordinance with fees that would require registration of short-term rentals with the City’s Inspectional Services Department and fire inspections to protect public health and safety (NOTE: the Chair will entertain a Motion of No Action Necessary) – See Planning Memo
- Request for Home Rule Legislation to allow Fire Chief Bruce Proia to continue employment as the Fire Chief of the City of Newton beyond the mandatory retirement age