There will be a special meeting of the City Council on Thursday, September 13th at 7:00 p.m. in the Council Chambers. The agenda includes the following cannibis related docket items:
- #468-18 Request to remove the Question regulating the number of recreational marijuana establishments from the November ballot filed by Councilors Cote, Norton and Kelley (Programs and Services Motion to Approved Failed to Carry 4-4 Rice, Kalis, Baker and Schwartz opposed)
- #469-18 Requesting the City Council reconsider placing a question on the ballot prohibiting retail recreational marijuana sales in Newton filed by Councilors Baker, Norton, Gentile, Kalis, Cote, Ciccone, Laredo, Kelley and Schwartz (Programs and Services Approved as amended 8-0)
- #470-18 Initiative Petition requesting a ballot question prohibiting recreational marijuana establishments with exceptions filed by Suzanne Bender et al. – (Opt-out petition meeting the 6,000 signature requirement) (Programs and Services voted No Action Necessary – 8-0)
- #471-18 Provide a means for voters to determine which marijuana question prevails if both are approved filed by President Laredo – see Memo from President Laredo
- #441-18 Set the date of November 6, 2018 for a Special Municipal Election (Programs and Services vote to approve 4-2-2 that if more than one question passes, the
question with the highest number of votes will prevail. (Kalis, Baker opposed;
Schwartz, Rice abstaining)
- CITY CLERK requesting the City Council set the date of November 6, 2018 as the date for a Special Municipal Election to submit to the voters question(s) related to limiting retail marijuana in Newton (Programs and Services vote to approve 8-0)
- #476-18 Proposed ballot questions re recreational marijuana retail establishments
HER HONOR THE MAYOR requesting the three following questions be placed on the
ballot for a special election in November:
- Question 1: Shall the City adopt the following general ordinance?
All recreational marijuana retail establishments shall be prohibited from operating in the City of Newton
- Question 2: Shall the City adopt the following zoning ordinance?
The number of recreational marijuana retail establishments shall be not fewer than two (2) nor more than four (4) establishments set by a general ordinance adopted by the City Council notwithstanding M.G.L. Chapter 94 G, Sec 3(a)(2)(ii).
- Question 3: Shall the City adopt the following zoning ordinance?
The number of recreational marijuana retail establishments shall be not fewer than two (2) nor more than eight (8) establishments set by a general ordinance adopted by the City Council notwithstanding M.G.L. Chapter 94 G, Sec 3(a)(2)(ii). (Programs and Services voted No Action Necessary 8-0); and
- #477-18 Extension of Time for #424-432 Cherry Street Agreement to an Extension of Time until October 31, 2018 to hold a Pubic Hearing on a request for a Special Permit/Site Plan approval for 424-432 Cherry Street to allow multi-family dwellings