The following City Council Committees are meeting this week:
Zoning and Planning Committee: The Zoning and Planning Committee is scheduled to meet on Monday, June 12th at 7:45 p.m. in the Council Chamber and is scheduled to discuss the proposed amendments in order to update guidelines and procedures to regulate rDNA technology and remove the requirement for special permit requirement for labs and facilities that utilize rDNA research or technology (see Planning Department memo) and will hold a public hearing on a recommendation by the Newton Historical Commission to create an Historic District Commission in West Newton (see Planning Department memo). The agenda can be found here.
Finance Committee: The Finance Committee is scheduled to meet on Monday, June 12hth at 7:00 p.m. and is scheduled to discuss the following:
- request for authorization to transfer $45,000 from the Law Department’s Full-time Salaries Account to the Law Department’s Claims/Settlements Account to provide funding for claims filed against the City,
- request authorization to transfer $340,000 from the full-time salaries accounts in various department to fund Police and Fire Department overtime, request authorization to appropriate $80,477 from Cable TV Capital Franchise Fees and $69,523 from Cable TV Operating Franchise Fees for the installation of video cameras on approximately 30 traffic signals in Newton,
- request authorization to make transfers from the full-time salaries accounts in various departments to fund system enhancements to Voice Over Internet Protocol (VoIP), improvements to the Storage Area Network, and enhancements to the City’s fiber infrastructure (Executive Full-time Salaries $30,000 Assessing Full-time Salaries $20,000 Treasury Full-time Salaries $10,000 Human Resources Full-time Salaries $50,000 IT Full-time Salaries $100,000),
- request authorization to appropriate and expend $57,676 from E-Rate reimbursement funds to purchase technology for the Newton Public Schools,
- request authorization to appropriate $350,000 from bonded indebtedness for the purpose of funding the replacement costs of the Mondo Track at Newton South High School,
- request authorization to appropriate $500,000 from bonded indebtedness for the purpose of funding renovations at the Newton Free Library to include expansion of the Children’s Room and other improvements to the First Floor,
- request authorization to accept and expend a grant in the amount of $4,981 from the State Historical Records Advisory Board to support the Newton Talks Project,
- request authorization to transfer the sum of $15,000 from the following accounts to the Public Building Department for the development of a public information plan regarding the site cleanup at the Horace Mann School for an oil leak that occurred in 1998,
- request authorization to appropriate the sum of $450,000 from bonded indebtedness for the purpose of funding additional costs for the Dedham/Nahanton/Brookline Streets Intersection Improvements Project including the relocation of utilities and the realigning of Carlson Avenue and Brookline Street,
- request approval of sidewalk/driveway apron and/or curb betterments – 10 Kilburn Road, 888 Beacon Street, 184 Ward Street, 538 Ward Street and 139 Winchester Street,
- request for an amendment to Section 29-80 Sewer Use Charge of the City of Newton Ordinances by adding the following sentence at the end of Paragraph (a): Notwithstanding the foregoing, seasonal water takers not eligible for an outdoor meter under said Section 29-24, shall pay a charge for the use of sewerage works in proportion to water consumption,
- request for authorization to transfer $150,000 from the Public Works Department’s Snow and Ice Control Account to the Public Works Department’s Processing Recyclables to cover costs of removing several years’ worth of soft yard waste in preparation for the Rumford Solar installation,
- request rescission of Council Order #280-16 authorizing the City to borrow $165,000 for the Elliot Street Bridge Project and rescission of Council Order #271-65 authorizing the City to borrow $530,000 for the Washington Street @ Harvard Street Signalization Project,
- request authorization to appropriate $71,000 from Free Cash for the purpose of construction an observation deck on the greenway walking corridor,
- request authorization to appropriate $350,000 from Overlay Surplus for the purpose of funding the construction of a new combined Parks & Recreation and Police Department facility to be located at the Elliot Street DPW yard, and a
- request for a discussion with the School Department and members of the School Committee regarding the $1.2 million deficit in the School Department budget as outlined in the 2017 Fiscal and Operational Update Memo dated October 24, 2016. The agenda can be found here.
Land Use Committee: The Land Use Committee is scheduled to meet on Tuesday, June 13th at 7:00 p.m. in the Council Chamber and is expected to discuss the following: request for a special permit/site plan approval to rezone five parcels at: 156 Oak Street (Parcel 1), 55 Tower Road (Parcel 2), 275-281 Needham Street (Parcel 3), 260 Needham Street(Parcel 4), 160 Charlemont Street(Parcel 5) to BU4 from MU1, to develop off-site, non-accessory, single-level parking on the parcel at 55 Tower Road (Parcel 2) to serve the existing office building at 156 Oak Street (Parcel 1), request for a special permit/site plan approval requiring a waiver of 84 parking stalls, a waiver to allow non-accessory parking on a lot separate from the principal use, waivers to allow parking within setbacks, waivers to dimensional requirements for parking stalls, waivers to the maximum width for entrance and exit drives, waivers for perimeter screening requirements for parking facilities, a waiver to interior landscaping requirements for parking facilities, waivers to lighting requirements for parking facilities, and waivers to the requirement for curbing, wheel stops, guard rails, and bollards at 156 Oak Street and 55 Tower Road (Northland) (see Planning Department memo) ,and a request to amend Special Permit #102-06(15) at Kesseler Woods to allow relocation of the inclusionary zoning units by use of the Off-Site Development Option in conjunction with the rehabilitation of the apartment building at 219 Commonwealth Avenue resulting in an increased number of affordable units from the approved site of 179 Kesseler Way (see Planning Department memo). The agenda can be found here.
Recodification Committee: The Recodification Committee will convene on Monday, June 12th at 6:00 p.m. in Room 211. The agenda can be found here.